Aims – what we set out to do
In pursuit of its mission, RUGIT will:
- Provide a forum for ascertaining and making known the views of its membership on matters affecting IT facilities, information systems and associated services.
- Promote research and development in these areas and publish the results of such work.
- Co-ordinate shared developments and exchange experience.
- Collaborate with relevant bodies where such collaboration supports the other aims. Bodies will include JISC, JANET, the eLeadership Council, central and local government.
- Lobby government and other stakeholders for research-led universities and for the provision of Information Technology and Systems (IT&S) resources to underpin wider Higher Education aims, and to ensure an understanding of the value of computing facilities to the national and international research community.
- Identify and promote academic and process change through the application of large-scale IT&S.
Objectives – the actions we take to deliver the aims
- Share information and data to allow comparisons of strategy, issues, services and resources between member institutions.
a. Annual strategic issues survey as part of EDUCAUSE/UCISA survey.
b. Quarterly top three operational issues survey.
c. Examine possibilities for co-ordinated internal and external benchmarking.
d. Develop awareness of approaches in other universities, other sectors and other countries.
- Fund specific research, with agreement at a full RUGIT meeting.
- Conduct joint staff development activities.
- Ensure appropriate channels of communication (website, other electronic and otherwise) are in place
a. for internal purposes, so that all members are informed of RUGIT activities in a timely manner, and are provided with an opportunities to participate.
b. for external purposes, so that RUGIT’s opinions and work are appropriately disseminated.
- Create formal Working Groups, sponsored by the RUGIT Council and with Terms of Reference relating to RUGIT objectives.
Approved by RUGIT Council, Edinburgh, February 2013